RE: Interviews

Subject: RE: Interviews
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- adobe -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:37:12 -0700

> 1. How do you research the companies you have an interview
> with? At what stage do you research them (before sending in a
> resume, or after snagging an interview?)?

I look at their web site, I play with their products (particularly the
one I might be working on -- installing, following some tutorials,
trying advanced stuff), I read their forums, I join their mailing lists,
I check out their competitors, I research their stock, I submit
questions to their online help resources. I guess you could call the
process of getting a job a full time job.

> 2. What kinds of questions do you ask during the interview.
> If you interview with multiple people at the company (HR,
> Writing Manager, Other employees), how do you divide your
> questions between these groups?

That's a pretty general question that any decent career-building website
probably can answer for you... but, if you're going for a "technical"
tech writer job, then expect to also be interviewed by someone in the
engineering department, too. And they are going to ask you questions
related to the technologies that you have on your resume. You better be
ready to answer those questions and ask some decent technical ones.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
Adobe Systems, Inc.