RE: Too old?

Subject: RE: Too old?
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "'Al Geist'" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:09:34 -0700

Age discrimination is not new. During the Great Depression, my uncle Marc
was 25. He had prematurely white hair (a family trait) and could not
convince potential employers that he was 25, not 60. From stories he used to
tell, he finally resorted to hair dye to get any kind of employment.
Apparently hair dye in the 30's was rather caustic, after a short while of
very dark hair, it started falling out. Once he stopped using the dye, it
regrew into a very thich, healthy, very white mail. He kept it until he
passed in his 80s.

I'm in my late 50s and do find, sometimes, a perception of age
discrimination. I can imagine hiring managers questioning themselves if I
can work 20 hours/7 for months at a time. Truthfully, no, not any more. I
did that in my younger days, I have the many tshirts. I don't know how to
combat that perception. Looking back, I don't think those all out pushes
where I burnt myself to the ground did any good. There is a limit as to how
effective a person can be when stressed and tired.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ