RE: Engineering specs: The way it spozed to be?

Subject: RE: Engineering specs: The way it spozed to be?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:30:26 -0700

My observations, based on a career as a software engineer and software
product manager:

* start by getting engineers to write up a short design/spec document,
including use cases,
design decisions, comments, etc. A wiki is a great place for this;
that's what we use here.
* *Encourage* but don't *require* regular updates. See if you can get
RSS feeds from the wiki
* Perhaps schedule one or two milestones where the engineers update the
docs with new
information.
* You (the tech writer) read the wiki before you start writing. Where
you find discrepancies
between the product and the documentation, point them out. They may be
real changes that
didn't get documented, *or* they may be bugs! I've found bugs that
way.
* Talk with the engineers. Find out what they think. Your expertise as a
tech writer includes
*understanding your audience*. Your VP may think you're the expert on
setting something like
this up, but your real talent is figuring out what your audience
wants.

Having used a bunch of web-based collaboration tools, I *strongly*
recommend wikis. If you (not Steve, but the audience at large) use
Windows/MS Office, and have a choice of a wiki to use, you might want to
look into a Windows-based wiki; many of them have the ability to view
and edit MS Office documents in place.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.