RE: Help, Multiple OEMs, and the Build System

Subject: RE: Help, Multiple OEMs, and the Build System
From: "Jeff Cross" <Jeff -dot- Cross -at- desire2learn -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:14:09 -0400

This is very similar to a challenge we are facing here. We produce
documentation for a large enterprise system with hundreds of different
configuration options. Clients want the online help to be customized for
their specific implementation, so that their users see help text that
matches the features available to them (rather than generic or universal
text that describes the features they might have access to depending on
how their system has been configured).

It seems to me the only solution would be to create a single universal
help system with conditional text that was interpreted at run time -- at
the point where an end user actually accessed the help system. So in
your case the complete help source for all OEMs would be deployed with
the software, then when the help system was accessed, the actual
information displayed would be filtered based on the particular OEM (a
parameter passed to the help system by the software).

I can't see an alternative if there is a single build process for all
OEMs.

The unfortunate part is that, as far as I can tell, all help authoring
tools are designed to filter the help output based on conditional text
at build time (i.e. when the help output is produced from the source
files), so that you end up building or publishing all the permutations
you need as separate outputs. I suppose you could bundle up *all* the
permutations into a single build, and have the software point to the
corresponding system based on the OEM -- but what you really need (and
what we really need) is to have an intelligent help system that filters
content down to the correct permutation at the point where an end user
accesses the system.

I'll watch this thread with interest in case others have simpler
suggestions, but it looks to me like the only way to accomplish this is
to create your own custom software for displaying help files to end
users.

Good luck,

Jeff Cross