Re: WinHelp on Vista - a useful link

Subject: Re: WinHelp on Vista - a useful link
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:29:30 -0400

Let's say we're looking for:
- The functionality and usability of WinHelp (at a minimum!)
- Stability, security, and accessibility over networks
- Future feature development and owner support
What's recommended?

Well, I'd need to know exactly what WinHelp features you needed. (For
example, all outputs provide hyperlinks, but I doubt that's what you
had in mind.)

The network requirement rules out HTML Help (unless you want to go
through the various fixes), but then it's ruled out by the "future
feature development" anyway.

But "future development" and "owner support" can't be measured, any
more than "company stability" can. We like to think that all companies
are going to stay in business forever, but as we've seen over the
years (RIP, ForeFront) it doesn't always happen. And while many
companies talk about what they're going to do (think of RoboHelp under
Mike Hamilton during the last year he was there), it doesn't mean that
it's going to happen, or that it's going to happen right away.

For the most part, no tool or output provides 100% of what everyone
wants. (It does happen...but rarely ;-) ) We always make trade-offs
between what we really want and what we can reasonably get.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com