Pubsnet - Are they sp*mming?

Subject: Pubsnet - Are they sp*mming?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Al Landis <allandis -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:20:53 -0400

Al Landis reports: <<What's the deal with Pubsnet? I have received about 50 spam e-mails from them today. They look random, like bouncebacks, resumes from people applying for jobs, and some are kind of sensitive as far as having personal information in them?>>

Don't ever assume that spam is actually coming from the address in the "From" line. Spammers routinely forge return addresses to make it a bit harder to track them down. I get a couple every day from PayPal and several local banks, for instance. And a while back, someone used my Web site as the ostensible domain name for a series of forged addresses. Took several days before they moved on to greener fields, and you can't imagine how many error messages I got until we fixed the problem (a misconfigured e-mail filter at my ISP).

Frustrating and annoying, but that's life in the naughty aughties. The problem will go away when the government gets serious about hunting these people down and putting them out of business.

www.geoff-hart.com