Re: Gnaargh! Or, I Am Not Psychic

Subject: Re: Gnaargh! Or, I Am Not Psychic
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:39:08 -0700

Ultimately, the only effective process is to establish that the documentation, whether online help, PDF or printed, is part
of the product, to be examined and compared to whatever it
is documenting as part of whatever pre-shipment QA is
performed so that discrepancies between what the docs say
is there and what is really there are flagged as product faults
that must be resolved prior to release. As long as documents
continue to be considered the poor cousin or bastard child
of "the real product," then you will forever be consigned to this particular wing of purgatory.

If you're thinking right about now that your company's product release process doesn't have a pre-shipment QA check, you have bigger problems than how to keep the
docs current with last minute changes.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>

What is the best process you've ever worked with (or dreamed of) that
enables technical authors to find out about changes/new projects etc
before the very last minute is past?

The prize for the best answer is me doing my damnedest to implement it
here :)