Use of Flash?

Subject: Use of Flash?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Potdar, Deepali" <deepali -at- bf -dot- umich -dot- edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:40:00 -0400

Deepali Potdar wondered: <<I am considering learning to use Flash and wanted to take a quick generalized poll of tech writers. Do you use Flash on the job? What do you use it for?>>

At a previous employer, our graphics guy used Flash to produce self- running educational presentations on a range of topics. These seemed to be well received by users of the products, but we performed no formal testing to determine whether the learning outcomes were favorable. In effect, we were producing the equivalent of PowerPoint presentations, but for situations where our experts could not be present in person to deliver the presentation and answer questions.

If you want to consider using these materials in your own work, you need to perform an instructional design exercise: define what your learning goals will be for the users of the Flash presentations, determine how Flash can support or undermine attainment of these learning goals, then redesign the presentation accordingly to maximize support and minimize undermining. For example, it's tempting to overuse animations in Flash. Animations work great to show movement, but tend to be less effective for other purposes because they can distract students from focusing on what is really important. Similarly for cool soundtracks.

Because it's human nature to rate something interesting more highly than something that appears fairly dull by comparison, you may get good reports of the effectiveness from users of the product. That's not necessarily relevant. People are certainly more likely to use something they enjoy, but that something is only truly effective if they also learn from it (i.e., achieve the learning goals). You may thus have to balance attractiveness (so that a higher proportion will actually use the product) with results (actually learning something) to achieve optimal results.

And, of course, like anything else, you need to be visually skillful to produce something other people will find attractive. Anyone who's seen my wardrobe knows where I fall on the spectrum of visual esthetics <g>, so I critique Flash designs, but don't create them myself.

www.geoff-hart.com