Training technical writers?

Subject: Training technical writers?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Ron Scheer <ronschee -at- college -dot- usc -dot- edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:25:49 -0400

Ron Scheer wondered: <<Does STC or any other professional organization have a recommended curriculum for training technical writers?>>

There are more curricula out there than you can shake a stick at. See, for instance: http://stc.org/edu/academicDatabase01.asp

Is there any universal standard? No more than there is in any other field of education, though there are undoubtedly broad trends. Best bet is to find a school near you and see what their program looks like, then compare it with a few other schools to see if it has any omissions that you consider significant.

In terms of "core competencies", STC currently has a committee studying the ever-contentious issue of certification. I personally know and trust one of the committee members (don't know the others well enough to comment, so don't take that as a slap at them), and also know one of the "eminences grises" who is active in this effort behind the scenes, so I believe that at least two highly intelligent people are at work on defining these core competencies. This may eventually provide some of the information you're looking for.

Personally, I'm deeply skeptical of the value of certification--it puts the cart before the horse, because credentials are worthless if the profession isn't well known and respected. But I'm prepared to be an honest skeptic and remain willing to be convinced.

www.geoff-hart.com