Re: canon camera user doc style

Subject: Re: canon camera user doc style
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:59:50 -0600

My company does much the same design of documentation. However, we got
around your problem by doing the following:

1--The English manuals (basic and advanced) are bound together in a
seamless combination. Reading through the manual, you would never know
you'd gone from one to the other unless you specifically looked for
the page that says "Advanced Manual."

2--All other languages are provided only the basic portion of the manual.

Of course, this design won't work for everyone, but our advanced users
(typically manager level and expert level users) are typically English
speakers and can handle an English only manual. Our basic level users
(the grunt guys up front with all the machines) only need the basic
manual. It's a useful way of providing documentation to the proper
audiences without cluttering their desks or brains with useless
information.

Dave