RE: Why marketing should make the user manuals

Subject: RE: Why marketing should make the user manuals
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:15:58 -0500

Hear, hear, Gene! You may not have to go any further than your nearest
newspaper to see this painfully lived out. As recently as a decade ago,
though old-style compositors where long gone, many papers still had
separate professionals doing layout and design. These days, the copy
editors have morphed into paginators as papers have slashed positions in
attempts to remain competitive. That front page you read may have an
hour or two or three of design and a half dozen stories with a combined
total of 20-30 minutes editing. Inside, it gets even worse. When the
time for editing content (versus manufacturing pages) was more
substantive, there was a much greater opportunity for quality. And IMHO
a lot less of the sloppy copy editing and proofreading so prevalent
today.

From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>

> At an auction, I came across a beautiful old 16mm projector. Didn't
> buy it, because our house is too cluttered already, but the manual
> alone was almost worth the price it went for (around $20, I think). It

> was -lovely- - slick B/W pages with -wonderful- drawings and diagrams
> and beautifully written. The layout was beautiful - more polished than

> many books of the period (1950s, I think). I'm not a luddite, but I
> wonder sometimes if word processors and layout software have just
> enabled people to do things sloppily with more ease...

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jim.pinkham%40voith.c
om