Re: How you take notes in SME interviews

Subject: Re: How you take notes in SME interviews
From: "Surag R" <suragtechwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Carrie Baker" <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:22:43 +0530

On 9/4/06, Carrie Baker <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Maybe a silly question, but I was wondering
When you interview programers (or any other SMEs) about features you
have to document, do you make notes in a notebook and write them up,
or do you write directly into your computer.
Up till now I have been scribbling on bits of paper (or decorating
print outs of screen shots), but I am considering going to meetings
with my laptop.
Do you think that would be a better idea?

There is nothing wrong in using technology to aid you. However, will typing
make a difference than writing notes in your notepad? Maybe, a recorder will
help you in hearing the recorded details. I don't use it but I know some
technical writers who use it. They find it comfortable in applying their
critical analysis and filling the gaps as the developers may not necessarily
follow a logical, sequential pattern in explaining things. In addition, if
it is a domain intensive subject, you can rehear the things that are new to
you and get more information about them, without missing them. Definitely,
asking their permission before recording and thanking them after the session
should also be done.

Thanks,
Surag