My doc was too good

Subject: My doc was too good
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:19:46 -0400

Well, fellow Whirlers, it's finally happened. One of my documents was
'buked and scorned for being "too good and too polished."

Before you reply with one of the many possible variants of "why didn't
you ask about the requirements" and "Nothing is good or bad in itself,
it depends on the need" and so on, let me say that I wrote exactly what
MY manager wanted and asked for.

Some background: we are trying to persuade a related vendor to let us
retrieve data directly from their back end instead of using their
carefully packaged and delineated but inadequate-for-our-purposes
services. My manager asked me to write a set of use cases along with an
overview of our architecture and a list of the programmer's requests,
and to embed it in our standard document format.

Which I did, taking two days for the job. Said format includes a title
page, a TOC, a list of figures, introductory material and a list of