Symbol command in WORD?

Subject: Symbol command in WORD?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Deb Slutzky <debi_g -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:17:54 -0400

Deb Slutzky reports: <<Sometimes I think I'm going crazy!>>

Been there, done that... then I learned the following mantra: "Word happens." I'm feeling much better now. <g>

<<I'm using my home laptop and I tried to access the Symbol dialog box from the Insert menu in WORD and it is not there. It is NOT just greyed out either. It does not exist on the menu at all. Right now I'm using Office Pro 2003; but I didn't have it when I was using Office 2000 on the laptop either. >>

The usual cause of this symptom is that Word has noticed you aren't using that command much, and has decided to hide it for you. But if you've actually clicked the little down-arrow at the bottom of the Insert menu (to expand the menu), and you still don't see the command there, that's not the cause. If you have enabled this "feature", you can turn it off via the Preferences/Options... I believe in the General or View tab, but I'm not using 2003 so I'm not sure where Microsoft hid this option.

The second biggest cause is that you inadvertently pressed Control- Alt-Hyphen (Command-Option-Hyphen) right before you inserted a Symbol, and thereby activated Word's "destroy the interface without notifying anyone" feature. (See the online help under "Customize". <g>) The only clue you ever get that this is about to happen is the cursor turns into a big, thick "minus" sign: minus means "subtract", thus "subtract the next thing you touch from the interface". Clever, huh? No, you don't get a chance to tell Word that's not what you really meant to do.

Should you ever see the cursor, just press Esc to make it go away. If you've already eliminated half your interface, you have two options, both accessible from the Tools-->Customize feature. First, if you don't have any interface customizations that you want to preserve, simply click the "Reset" button: Word will refill all the old menu items and toolbar icons, good as new. Second, if you have only eliminated a few functions and have one or more customizations you want to preserve, simply drag any missing menu items or toolbar buttons back into place.

www.geoff-hart.com