Problems (yet again) with Word's numbering styles

Subject: Problems (yet again) with Word's numbering styles
From: linda_sims -at- vanguard -dot- com
To: " TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, " WORD-PC" <WORD-PC -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:44:44 -0400

Cross-posted to TECHWR-L and WORD-PC in hopes of a broad audience. This is
very long.

=================

OK. I'm stumped. Numbering again, what else is new? I thought I'd finally
worked it out so that it couldn't break, but it has and I'm just about to
put my fist through the monitor out of frustration.

I have 5 sets of outline numbered styles, with six styles in each. Each
list has its own ListNum field list name to keep them separate from each
other.

I have it set up so that in all sets:

Levels 1, 3, and 5 have no numbering style and have a hard coded number
(in this case, "1", "a", "i") in the Number Format field. These are my
"restart" styles, the ones I know will always come first.

Level 2 restarts after Level 1 and the Start At field is "2".

Level 4 restarts after Level 3 and the Start At field is "b".

Level 6 restarts after level 5 and the Start At field is "ii".

None of these styles are based on any other style.

What I expect to have happen is this:

1. (Level 1) (hard coded, will always show as 1)
a.(Level 3) (hard coded, will always show as a)
i.(Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii.(Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
b. (Level 4) (restarts after Level 3, at b)
i. (Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii. (Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
c. (Level 4) (incremented)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
2. (Level 2) (restarts after Level 1, at 2)
a.(Level 3) (hard coded, will always show as a)
i.(Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii.(Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
b. (Level 4) (restarts after Level 3, at b)
i. (Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii. (Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
c. (Level 4) (incremented)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
3.(Level 2) (incremented)
a.(Level 3) (hard coded, will always show as a)
i.(Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii.(Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
b. (Level 4) (restarts after Level 3, at b)
i. (Level 5) (hard coded, will always show as i)
ii. (Level 6) (restarts after Level 5, at ii)
c. (Level 4) (incremented)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)

What is actually happening is:

1. (Level 1)
a.(Level 3)
b. (Level 4)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
c. (Level 4)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
3. (Level 2)
a.(Level 3)
b. (Level 4)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
c. (Level 4)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)
4. (Level 2)
a.(Level 3)
i.(Level 5)
ii.(Level 6)
c. (Level 4)
d. (Level 4)
i. (Level 5)
ii. (Level 6)

I'm at my wits' end, I really am. What really gets me is that I swear, I
SWEAR I checked that the number restarts worked correctly at all levels no
matter what, and it worked last week. It worked perfectly until today, in
fact. Now it doesn't work, and my "known good" version that hasn't been
touched all week and was saved on a separate machine and drive is
exhibiting the same behaviour. And, of course, this happens AT THE END OF
THE WEEK WHEN EVERYONE IS GOING HOME AND . . *cough* excuse me.

I even rebooted the machine. Not that I really expected it to help (and it
didn't), but it seemed worth a shot.

I have a text file with all the styles in it (from Word's help/system
info) if anyone wants to hack at it. Or a copy of the template itself, if
that's wanted.

[For those of you playing along at home, this was my solution to the
problem of needing to nest multiple numbered lists that autorestarted
numbering without using macros.]

Why does the numbering work correctly only so long as the restart level
isn't followed by a lower/indented level? And how do I fix it?

Lin Sims
The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion
of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was
accessed.

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.