Wiki for product documentation

Subject: Wiki for product documentation
From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:08:10 -0400

I shared the comment someone recently made about crappy manuals for
home products, and he mentioned Wiki-ing it (he is a big contributor
to Wikipedia, and a bit of a wiki-fanatic).

I had a great idea - which may already be available - a Wiki to
collect user expertise on commercial products. It could be called
something like "User's Guide to Everything", and could be a
user-written collection of how to put together, use, maintain, etc.
ANY consumer product anyone cared to write about. The information
would quickly outstrip the pitiful 'guides' provided with many
products, and having a central repository would make it easier than
looking for, say, a "GE regrigerators users group". Also, things such
as warranty experience, company support, failure rates, aftermarket
parts, etc. could be added to make it a great preview site for
purchasers (I know review sites already exist; that would not be the
main function of this site).

The bonus for those of us who like to pick apart manuals is that we
could edit these guides to our heart's content :)

--
Susan Hogarth
http://www.colliething.com