Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 10, Issue 17

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 10, Issue 17
From: "Brad Whittington" <brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:34:25 -0500

RE: Podcast on technical writing issues and/or summaries of the posts
on Techwr-l.

Summaries:
Actually, this sounds like a cool idea. Take the digest each day and
do a podcast summarizing the topics and a brief idea of
problems/solutions. I think it would work best if there was a team,
like a morning drive show kind of atmosphere. Creating a virtual
podcast team would be an issue. The technical issue could possibly be
solved with Skpe or some online VoIP tool, but there's still
scheduling.

Issues:
1. Using the digest plus the logistics and production time would mean
a significant time lag between the posts and the availability of the
podcast summaries, like 24+ hours. Would it still be useful if there
was a delay?
2. If we're summarizing the content of the list, I'm assuming access
to the podcast would have to be protected in the same way subscribing
to the list is protected. This means it can't be publicly posted on a
blog somewhere. Right?

I'd be willing to investigate if:
1. enough people see value in it.
2. somebody is willing to partner.
3. we work out the intellectual property issues and where to host it.

Technical Writing Issues:
This could be a public thing. Also sounds interesting to me, but as a
newbie I'd have to serve more of a hosting role than a pontificator,
partnering with a veteran or interviewing various verterans and
players in the field. Hmm. I'll have to think about it. Feel free to
contact me off list to discuss if you find the idea interesting as
well.

--
Brad Whittington
brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com