Re: The Tech in Tech Writer

Subject: Re: The Tech in Tech Writer
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:35:50 -0700 (PDT)

I think your main concern should be why the previous
tech writers couldn't catch on. Were they given a
chance to familiarize themselves with the subjects and
communicate effectively with the other personnel?

This is not a knee-jerk defense of tech writers in
general. If you recall, there was a discussion on this
list recently about being required to document
software without being given the chance to actually
use the software. Situations like that do happen, and
it is possible the previous writers at your new
company found themselves unable to get the information
they needed. I hope that doesn't develop in your case.

I do agree that wanting to make more money is not
sufficient motivation. Someone who doesn't have a real
interest in technology is not likely to do the
continuing education that is necessary. Such people
would probably be better served going into MARCOM or
related fields.

In any case, good luck with the new job.

http://mail.yahoo.com