RE: Internships (was: Breaking into the tech writing job market)

Subject: RE: Internships (was: Breaking into the tech writing job market)
From: "Mike Schmidt" <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv>
To: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:07:43 -0500

By "started out," my answer is: I went to school for something else and
did that for a while.

- But then I decided I wanted to write instructions and went after it.
So it was a conscious decision to go after a tech writing job.

- I started out as a teacher. Quit that and moved, and decided to be a
tech writer.
- I later pursued some training - but I had a very good mentor at the
start. Not an internship, but it was a low-paying position at first.