Re: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?

Subject: Re: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Yvette, Denoga" <Yvettedenoga -at- crimsonlogic -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:54:02 +0530

On 8/8/06, Yvette, Denoga <Yvettedenoga -at- crimsonlogic -dot- com> wrote:

Now, the project team wants me to also ensure that when they open the
PDF in a computer screen (e.g., 15-inch screen), the screenshot should
also display well.

Currently, it doesn't display as clearly on screen as it does on print.
But since I'm no graphics expert, is there a way I can have a crisp
screen capture even on screen (at 100%)? I'm not sure if such a setting
exists.

Well, GIFs are more for Web usage - (usually) small image files that
download quickly to a browser. They're not meant for holding huge amounts of
image detail. Instead, save your screenshots as JPGs or PNGs. JPGs are
intermediate: larger files than GIF, but better detail; PNGs store maximum
image details, but usually wind up as much larger files than JPGs. Then
again, there are a whole lot of compression, quality and other options when
saving JPGs from any competent image-manipulation software; tweaking those
can degrade image quality substantially (and yield small files), or at the
other end of the scale, give you huge amounts of detail, but large files.

When sending images to printing shops, pros (on this list, too) use other
file formats like TIFF or EPS - for compatibility with the printer's
systems, as well as to obtain maximum detail. I think a search of the
archives for "TIFF" and "EPS" might yield you a good deal of helpful
information.

Depending on the level of detail/quality you want in your images, you
probably ought to pick between JPG or PNG formats for your screenshots.

Yes, sadly, you'll have to capture fresh ones.

Regards,
Ed.