RE: New member

Subject: RE: New member
From: "Joyce Fetterman" <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "Mike Schmidt" <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:49:01 -0400

Mike, keep in mind that posts to this list are public. The folks who are
"commanding" you to make these changes can easily Google your name and
see what you're posting.

As for the work situation, you aren't the only one who has ever been
told to make such a major change.

If the PTB (Powers That Be) _really_ want this change, you either make
it or leave. But maybe it's not set in stone. Talk with your direct boss
and learn what you can. Why did they make this decision? Do they
understand the scope of the changes and how much it will cost? What do
they hope to accomplish with this change? It may be that you can provide
solid information showing that the change isn't required in order to
achieve their goals.

Provide the best estimates that you can. Request training on the new
software and some good resource books. Look at this as an opportunity to
learn some new software and expand your skills. Keep the PTB informed
about your progress and any roadblocks.

You choose to do the work and be miserable, or choose to do the work and
enjoy it. May as well enjoy it!

Joyce

<< I've recently been commanded to abandon all the tools I've been using
for years (and know intimately) in favor of the Adobe Suite. I've also
been commanded to "establish a timeline and list of resources that would
be needed" to do this.

<< If you detect a hint of negativity in this... you're right. I am
totally at home with the programs I've been using for, in some cases, my
entire career, and I'm not thrilled about dumping it. I'm sure Adobe
stuff is great, but it's the learning curve and tons of busy work I'm
not terribly happy about.>>