RE: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: RE: Reviewers who don't review
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Siliconwriter" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:39:39 -0700

I'd be disgusted, too.

I have some thoughts on this:
* In a calm way, point out that tech support has some choices here. They
can review the manual
so that they don't get overloaded with calls, or they can *not* review
the manual and get
the same call over and over again.
Don't get into the whole thing about "standing over him". Forget about
it. If he really does
act that way in general, his reputation already sucks. You'll look
good if, like everybody
else important in the company, you just ignore him.
* Write to the field reps or their manager. Be sympathetic to their
plight, but point out
(again, calmly) that you can only write what you know. Remind them
that they can best avoid
this situation in the future by pressuring QA and tech support to do
testing before product
release.
* Make certain your manager knows the real story. If you have a good
manager, she or he will
fight for your reputation. If you have a poor manager, you may be SOL,
but at least you've
made the effort.
* Tell yourself that it's not you, it's him. It hurts when somebody
screws you like this, but
at least tell yourself that you *do not deserve it*. The world is
*full* of crazy people,
and the more you get to know people, the crazier they seem! If you can
avoid acting crazy
yourself (no matter what you feel), then people will generally admire
you.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.