Re: Wiki as a documentation delivery system? (take II)

Subject: Re: Wiki as a documentation delivery system? (take II)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:58:55 -0700

This may be adequate if the worst consequence of someone following incorrect information is a desktop or even a server crash, but if you're selling products that can kill people if improperly used, anything less than a "full review and approval
prior to release" system is walking a tightrope without a net.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>

Just FYI...some wikis include administrative software that fires off a
message every time someone a) registers and b) modifies a page. (This
is part of how we keep the MSHelpWiki from being spammed like it used
to be...a change of software and the addition of permissions mean that
I get an email for both of those events.) We've also implemented a
challenge email system for registration, which means that spammers can
register...but they can't post until they respond to the challenge
email. Amazingly enough, no one seems to want to do that ;-)

I've also added the MSHelpWiki to my RSS Aggregator.

So, depending on the software being used, it might not be all that
hard to keep up with the quality of the wiki.