Re: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: Re: Reviewers who don't review
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, "'Siliconwriter'" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>, "'TECHWR-L List'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:26:23 -0700

There isn't a manager on the face of the Earth who can prevent people
from making outrageous accusations or juvenile responses when some-
thing goes wrong. If one of my writers was in this situation (not getting
reviews or access to product) I would counsel him or her to do exactly
what I suggest, if that didn't work *I* would show up at the reviewers'
office or developers meetings with my laptop, thermos and protein bars
and if *that* didn't work, I would officially remind everyone in the
development process that somebody, if not my writer then somebody
else, needed to actually fire up the product *following the document
instructions* and verify that its contents were valid and that I was
prepared to hold up release of the document until that happened.

The only sure way to prevent the unacceptable responses to
document failure is to prevent the failure in the first place.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>

Tell your own manager exactly what you told us and ask your manager how he
or she would like you to proceed next time -- to "stand over" the person or
to perform your job as you have been. If your manager says do the latter,
request that your manager get assurance that the next time will not bring
more outrageous accusations or juvenile responses.