Re: Getting rid of the manual

Subject: Re: Getting rid of the manual
From: William Gaffga <WilG -at- GibbsCAM -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:48:53 -0700

We are transitioning away from print as well, and gradually too. All manuals are available in PDF and in the online help. Some are now only available in PDF. In the latest release manuals are not shipped to maintenance clients, but we do include a form that can be sent back to us for a free set of the new manuals. I believe we have about a 2-3% response rate, though the numbers are not fully in yet. That says a lot about the need for manuals. Having them available will, I think, always be an option, but if we can get to a small fraction of our current print volume (or even a print-on-demand method, though that does not match our normal print quality standards) we will save an @$$ load of money.

This was precipitated by our finally having a proper online help system ... to date we'd only had a balloon help system and tooltips as well as PDF versions of the manuals. So, our help system was perceived as being very poor since it basically did not exist. The users seem happy with almost anything, esp. something they can search.

Will.

--
William Gaffga
Documentation Supervisor