Translation?

Subject: Translation?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, obair <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:47:19 -0400

Paul wondered: <<Is there any particular reason why a translated user manual for a communications product would not include the tech specs appendix and the glossary?>>

If both sections are useful to English readers, they'll be useful to readers in all other languages. So in that context, there's no good reason that I'm aware of to avoid translating this material. Possibly a file just went MIA somewhere along the way?

<<I ask because both, especially the tech specs, are full of terms that cannot be translated. So I am unsure of the value.>>

The value is twofold. First, for those things that cannot be translated*, a definition is provided in the reader's own language. That lets them understand the meaning of the untranslated term. Second, for the things that can be translated, you have provided a translation.

* I assume you mean that the terms must be left in the original language (e.g., because they're part of the interface)? If not, there are darn few things that cannot be translated. There are many that cannot be translated in a single word, but you can usually describe the meaning in several words.

www.geoff-hart.com