RE: Private note - Re: Office 2007 Beta 2

Subject: RE: Private note - Re: Office 2007 Beta 2
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:27:29 -0600

Peter Neilson wrote:

> Jonathan West wrote:
> > (It is strange that Microsoft thinks "discoverability" rather than
> > "usability" should be the key, but that's an issue for
> another day...)
>
> No, for today. It's Friday.
>
> Usability is old. Discoverability is the new flavor of the month.
>
> Remember, the guys who put forth these pseudo-concepts seem
> to make a lot more money than you or I.
>
> I can see it now... Next month's flavor...
> Variability! The interface changes randomly, <snip>

That flavor already exists in Office 2003. From the Word 2003 help:

"Microsoft Office automatically customizes menus and toolbars based on
how often you use the commands. When you first start an Office program,
only the most basic commands appear. Then, as you work, the menus and
toolbars adjust so that only the commands and toolbar buttons you use
most often appear."

About 30 seconds after first encountering this execrable "feature," I
tracked down the cleverly concealed Customize command and, on the
Options tab, selected Always show full menus. Cursed a blue streak the
whole time. What a moronic idea.

"It's my opinion and it's very true." ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer