RE: Frame and Missing Fonts

Subject: RE: Frame and Missing Fonts
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:04:13 -0500

> -----Joe Malin wrote:-----

> * A cheap trick. Save the document to MIF, then search the
> MIF file for
> the font name. With the MIF reference manual and a bit of detective
> work, you may find the offending font.

You don't need to mess with a MIF unless you would die of curiosity from
not knowing where the missing fonts are. I ran into the missing font
problem a lot with old files that I inherited when I started this job a
few years ago. It turned out that the missing font existed in an unsaved
paragraph tag... on a reference page... in a tiny little graphic
frame... in text frame that was cropped out of the graphic frame. It
took me ages to find that out, and then I realized that it didn't matter
one bit where the font was. What got rid of the problem permanently was
a simple font substitution.

Simply turn off the preference for remembering missing fonts, open the
problem file again, let Frame do a permanent font substitution for the
missing font, and then save the file. Presto! The missing font message
never comes back for that file.

If you have a bunch of files that give you the same problem, you can now
import formats from the "fixed" file into those files to see if they are
magically fixed, too.
- If the files are fixed, the problem was located in one of the imported
items.
- If the files aren't fixed, you need to open them one by one to fix
them, and you can assume that the problem is caused by something located
on a body page in each file.

Donna
(been working with Frame since version 3.0!)

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.