Re: GUI Standards document?

Subject: Re: GUI Standards document?
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:16:00 -0400

On 7/12/06, David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

I have been asked to create a GUI standards document for our development
team...

Anybody have any ideas where I could find something in the public domain, or
even a commercial document along the lines of the MMoS or Sun's Read Me
First! that would give me a leg up on this?

The gold standard for interface documentation is Apple Computer's
Macintosh Human User Interface Guidelines. There is a badly
out-of-date print version for sale at Amazon.com (and elsewhere) but
the User Experience section at developer.apple.com has everything you
could possibly need:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/index.html

Don't worry about using Apple's documentation if you're working on a
Windows product. As you said, you're just looking for ideas...and
anyway, just about every important interface feature of Mac OS X is
going to be in Microsoft Vista, from what I've seen of the late public
Vista beta.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
http://campbell-online.com