RE: the Netherlands vs. The Netherlands

Subject: RE: the Netherlands vs. The Netherlands
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Johan Hiemstra" <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:15:55 -0700

A quick glance at Wikipedia shows that
1. The entry is under "Netherlands"
2. In the entry, "the" is not capitalized unless it's at the beginning
of sentence
3. The discussion page for the entry dissects these issues in great
detail. Since membership in Wikipedia is free, anyone who wants to learn
more might want to look at the discussion page for more background.

The *real* import of this thread is that legal names, accepted names,
and commonly used names can all be different even among those who
consider themselves "experts". Your choice of "standard" should be
guided by many considerations, including the needs of your audience.

Some country names are relatively easily to deal with. Although its
official name is "The United States of Mexico", I suspect that most
Mexicans would simply say "Mexico." The Netherlands is a bit more
difficult, since (at least in English) the country is "The Netherlands"
but the people are "Dutch". Even worse, in the USA (United States of
America), the "Pennsylvania Dutch" are not of Dutch descent but German!

The worst (as we USAers discovered) is China; the mainland country is
the (or "The"?) People's Republic of China, while the island of Taiwan
is residence of The (or "the"?) Republic of China. Similarly, the former
West Germany was (in German) Bundesrepublik Deutschland while East
Germany was the Deutsche Demokratische Republik.

Personally, I live in the state of Confusion .

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.