Re: Context-sensitive HTML Help for .NET application

Subject: Re: Context-sensitive HTML Help for .NET application
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Peggy McClure <peg217 -at- rcn -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:02 -0400

I'm not sure if this will work with .NET, but it worked fine with .asp files.

In our application, each .asp page had a unique name. We created a corresponding help page (in uncompiled html, not chm) with the same name; of course, they each had different extensions: Intro.asp and Intro.htm.

We got the developers to write a short script that would 1) determine the active page's name 2) call the associated help file, and 3) display the help file in a new window. When the script was loaded with each application page, voila, we had a context sensitive help system.

We even worked it backwards so that of the user found a help page associated with an application page, they could launch that application page from the help system.

My 2¢,

John Garison

Peggy McClure wrote:

I'm new to creating HTML Help, and not sure how to accomplish
context-sensitive help for a .NET application.

I'm using RoboHelp X5 to create the HTML Help .chm file with (ideally)
window-level context sensitivity. The application I'm documenting was
created using CSharp NET, (C# .NET?) and the developer tells me it does not
use .h files. He is looking for keywords to implement the context-sensitive
help, which they've used in the past with a .chm file, rather than topic
IDs.

I've searched the TECHWR-L archives and other sources, but haven't found
anything specifically for what kind of file to deliver for the
context-sensitive help mapping, and how to create the keywords. (As far as I
can tell, I should be able to do this with RoboHelp X5).

Are these keywords the same as the topic keywords or index keywords? What
type of file does a .NET application need instead of the .h file? As far as
I can tell from searching the web, the RoboHelp X5 supports .NET, and I
should be able to do this with RoboHelp X5.

I'm missing a piece of the puzzle (or maybe a few) - any help is greatly
appreciated.

Regards

Peggy McClure
Tel 508-561-1386
Fax 707-667-3858

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as john -at- garisons -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/john%40garisons.com