Re: Article: Document or else

Subject: Re: Article: Document or else
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:37:17 -0400

Combs, Richard wrote:
> <snark>
> Gee, Lou, I guess we should all be grateful that people like you (and
> the Eurocrats in Brussels) are so smart that you know exactly how the
> world should work.

Huh?

> AAnd you're so pragmatic that you won't let old-fashioned ideas
> like property rights stop you from forcing everyone to do it your way --
> under penalty of fines, imprisonment, ... perhaps re-education?
> </snark>

They know what they want and they're enforcing their laws. They
can't have laws?

The reason this matters for techcomm is that it may be wise for
private companies to calculate -- as governments are starting to --
that their data and work product are devalued when stored in formats
they don't control -- or are bound-up in systems like SharePoint
that are *designed* not to inter-operate with alternatives.

http://tinyurl.com/oer53

Anything that makes content migration harder makes techcomm harder.

LQ

ps. If SharePoint is your enemy, Alfresco is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfresco_%28software%29
http://www.alfresco.com/