Re: Working Remotely (was: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting)

Subject: Re: Working Remotely (was: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting)
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:06:59 -0700 (PDT)

I worked as a TW at Amex some years ago; Amex was understandably concerned about the security of customer and proprietary data. Working remotely was not permitted. Had I burned data on a CD to take home (and been caught), I would have been fired and quite possibly charged with theft.

The news is full of companies and government departments leaking personal data. They SAY they care, but the leaks continue, and, unsurprisingly, the penalties are no discouragement - paying for a year's worth of credit monitoring has been the strictest I've heard of. The US government is even passing laws to make leaking data _less_ costly (though not for you and I), by only requiring leakers to report data theft/loss if the organization that lost the data determines that the data may be used criminally, or somesuch. Government = Big Business; what the latter wants, the former serves up on a platter; we are just consumers.

All the best,
Brian