Storyboarding?

Subject: Storyboarding?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Abram, KaTrina R." <KaTrina -dot- Abram -at- BellSouth -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:32:03 -0400

KaTrina Abram wondered: <<Where I work, I'm responsible for online help, handbooks, guides, and maintaining our online 'information ducts'. Does anyone else on the list maintain intranet and Wiki sites? If so, do you storyboard when you are overhauling a site? If so, what do you use? What is your process? I've traditionally used Word, but I wanted to know if there was a different way...tools etc.>>

Yes, I storyboard, and how I do it depends on context. I've certainly sketched stuff on paper, particularly after I've burned out at the computer and don't ever want to look at a screen again. That kind of sketching is particularly useful to me while I'm still woolgathering and thinking about what I want to achieve.

But once I've gotten a handle on that, the exercise really becomes prototyping, not storyboarding, and there are many ways you can do that. Most efficiently, do this onscreen because it provides a clearer picture (particularly if you're artistically challenged, like I am) and the ability to sit down with someone and interactively revise the prototype.

To do this, you can use Powerpoint and its kin, Dreamweaver and its kin, or (if you're a bit more graphically talented) Flash and its kin. The key point is to use a tool that lets you produce a credible "this is what it really looks like" and modify that on the fly. For some inspiration on how this can be done, have a look at: http://www.stcsig.org/id/id_articles/0601_interactive_prototypes.htm

www.geoff-hart.com