RE: frustrated

Subject: RE: frustrated
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:19:34 -0400

This is a frustrating situation. I have a tech writer friend where I used to work who spends more time editing the content of the documentation that is farmed out to another country, than he does writing new documentation himself. Half the time he has to rewrite the entire document. I am not sure how that saves time and/or money, but since I used to do the documentation that is now farmed out, I find it a tad amusing!

I also have another technical writer/editor friend who lost a job for "editing too well" that is what it said on her pink slip. Do NOT ask me what that means..as I have no clue.

It is a crazy world we live in!

Melissa

From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: RE: frustrated Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:14:04 -0500

It comes down to the old saying, "You get what you pay for." Cheap and
high-quality don't tend to go together in technical writing. Eventually,
some companies will figure this out and stop farming out so much.

Also, you can be a native English speaker and still be a terrible
writer. Years ago, I had the misfortune of having to edit for one of the
worst writers I have ever encountered. Management got mad at ME because
I took too long editing this person's writing, but I couldn't let that
stuff go out as it was because then they would come back and criticize
me for everything that I had missed (a no-win situation for the editor).

You can try this. Release some of the stuff you get from poor writers
as-is, but document that you have reservations about the quality of the
content. As customers start complaining and possibly switching to
competitors' products, it will get someone's attention. Hopefully you
won't be the one to pay for why the quality was so bad in the first
place.

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com