frustrated

Subject: frustrated
From: iam nobody88 <iamnobody888 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

I am just a bit dismayed by how things are going over here at my job (and maybe how things are going for our industry too), that I really need to vent my concerns. You tech-whirlers can probably relate to what I'm talking about. Sorry if I must post this anonymously as I know this can be a sensitive subject for others.

I've had my share of handling/coordinating with technical writers. Having been assigned as a lead writer a couple of times, I usually have to face the issue that I must outsource other projects to writers in a particular country, because they're cheaper. That's fine, I do not obviousy own the company or call the shots, nothing I can do about that.

But what do you do if the work they produce is horribly written? The format is a mess and the usage of English is terrible, it's like a 7-year old was explaining the content. English is not my first language too, but I grew up in an English-speaking household, so I think "in English", if that makes any sense. I hardly speak in my local dialect.
If the writing is that bad, it usually makes sense to get someone else, as spending too much time correcting their writing will compromise your timelines. I have tried editing their work, and the ones I've worked with refuse to accept any constructive means to improve their writing. Everytime this happens, I request to discontinue acquiring their services. It's a whole big mess since you step on a lot of toes.

If I move to another company, it starts all over again. This is a reality in our industry, I know that. Sometimes I wish I could just say "Please stick to programming! You're all good at coding, but most of you are horrible writers!" Forgive me for having to say that, but I really encountered no decent writer from there. And they are getting all the jobs.

I'm fine. I just need to sound this off once and for all. I've just been so frustrated for too long. It's not easy to accept that quality usually has to take a backseat, when our work is defined by that. Anyway, on to regular discussions. I'll start moving on.