Re: Poll: How do you differentiate commands, etc. in text?

Subject: Re: Poll: How do you differentiate commands, etc. in text?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:22:35 +1000

Bryan Sherman wrote:

> I've always thought simple bolding of commands and window titles was a
> less is more approach. I don't like using upper and lower case to
> distinguish options because it often has the effect of changing the
> case of the item as it appears on screen. I am uncomfortable referring
> to "Number of copies" field on the screen as "Number of Copies" since
> that is not how it appears on screen to the user.

We went back and forth about this in our Editorial Forum
but ultimately decided that the reader was not as likely
to be confused by the same text having initial caps in
the docs but not on the screen as they were to be confused
by a step like "Select the Check spelling before sending
option."

> I understand the ransom not effect, but I have always thought it aids
> the user. It allows them to quickly scan the text to see what they
> need from the steps. Even if it does not seem as aesthetically
> pleasing to folks, I think it helps clarify the steps.

The problem is that if nearly everything is bold,
the reader *can't* "quickly scan to see what they need
from the steps" because the bold doesn't stand out.
Also, do you really *want* readers to just scan steps
for what to press and click without reading anything
else? Many times in procedures we have connecting text
that we actually want and need readers to read so I'm
not sure providing them with a way to just pick out
text here and there ultimately is really helping them.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.

"These are my opinions. If they were the Biblical
truth, your bushes would be burning -- Randy Lander