Re: OT: How to identify print job origination

Subject: Re: OT: How to identify print job origination
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:13:57 -0400

On 6/28/06, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

I was having trouble with people sending jobs to the company's full-size
office printer (rather than to their department printers) and then
forgetting them. We switched banner pages on and we also put a set of
pockets on the wall and sorted printed jobs into them by last initial. A
sign said jobs would be discarded if not picked up within X days. In
your case it could even be X hours.

As for the shredding issue, if the banner sheet or status line
identifies who printed the job, it should be relatively simple to get
people to pay attention to confidentiality rules.

Thanks for your comments, Dick. A secondary/less important problem we are
experiencing is very high paper/toner costs. While discarding jobs not
picked up does protect our confidentiality, I can see situations where
people just shrug and print again, and again, and again.

I agree - banner pages are (a) a waste of paper, and (b) only useful if the
page stays with the job. I like the idea of the watermark initials - I'll
give that some thought, along with the use of print monitoring software, as
suggested by Beth.

Thanks again,