Re: Working Remotely

Subject: Re: Working Remotely
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:41:35 -0700 (PDT)

> j-m -at- creativeoptions -dot- com wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, I will remind you that there's no security anywhere.
>> Not long ago my bank card was stolen...within 6 hours a MAN signed my
>> full name and charged up $5,000 in three local stores where the
cashier >> was supposed to be checking ids.

> Dick Margulis wrote:
>
> On more than one occasion I've made business purchases on my wife's
> behalf, using her credit card, and never been questioned. And no, we do
> not have the same last name, nor have I forged her signature. I think it
> is so common for this sort of thing to happen within families that
> clerks are conditioned not to ask (for fear of getting their heads
> chewed off by irate customers); and crooks take advantage of this.
>
> There's also the problem that being a retail clerk is an entry-level job
> people of below-average skills, experience, and intelligence are assumed
> to be able to handle, whether or not they really can.

My wife and I also have different last names; however, she has a
background in the financial industry and I once managed a computer retail
outlet. In the financial world, there are strict rules that tellers (an
entry level position that requires some level of expertise) must follow.
Break the rules and you loose your job. On the other hand, in the retail
world, there are sales associates (salespeople) and clerks. A clerk is
the person in the grocery store, or K-Mart that scans your merchandies and
takes your money. They are more interested in keeping those lines small
and getting the customer out the door fast, because they would get paid
the same amount whether the card was good or bad. Sales associates, on the
other hand, have more interest in ensuring credit cards are good because
it impacts their commission, a point I drilled home to my sales staff. Our
credit card problems were minimal. The difference was a level of
responsibility.

Al