RE: Working Remotely (was: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting)

Subject: RE: Working Remotely (was: White Paper Editing & Standards Setting)
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: j-m -at- creativeoptions -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:48:27 -0400

IMO, the employees were not appropriately equiped to work remotely, and
that's what caused the problem. I have no idea why the employees were
allowed to bring a CD full of confidential data home with them, but if
they had been supplied with a secure VPN connection to their main
data store, the data compromise would not have happened (unless, of
course, the employee had his password stuck to the laptop, but that's a
different can of worms).

I don't see this affecting my team at all. We all have a secure VPN
connection that's set up and managed by IT, and we don't work with
sensitive personal data -- only source code and software builds.

My two cents. YMMV
-Sue Gallagher