RE: fwd: you or he/it

Subject: RE: fwd: you or he/it
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:31:13 -0400

Dan makes a good point, and as I said I would rather use "you" than "user", but my boss says it is "too informal"...his term, I just picked it up. Next time the topic comes up, I will bring up Dan's point, which I definitely agree with!

I do write with a more direct manner and sometimes changing to "the user" in the middle of it seems a bit....odd. It can be difficult to keep the consistency in the tone of the document.

Thanks,

Melissa

From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:25:16 -0400

Actually, both the Japanese PL and Melissa make the same mistake. We
don't use the second person because it's informal: We use it because
it's direct. Good tech writing is clear and concise, and the second
person is often the best voice for that purpose.

Regarding Anonymous' ESL users in Europe: Stick to short, declarative
sentences, and use the second person wherever you think it's
appropriate. If any users are dismayed by your apparent informality,
they'll be outnumbered by the ones who are grateful for your clear
writing.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com