RE: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts?

Subject: RE: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts?
From: "Aloi, Debby" <Debby -dot- Aloi -at- sage -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:02:03 -0400

<snip> Oh, and I am not a fan of the unfilled bullet for most of the reasons
stated by others. . . . Every time I see a hollow bullet I want to find a
sharpened No. 2 pencil and fill in the selected circle, being careful not to
leave stray marks outside the ... oh, wait a minute, that was a thread on
another list. Sorry. Is it Friday yet? <snip>

OK - I have to respond! With years of curriculum development/tech writing
mixed with previous & concurrent years of instruction I'm just bursting
here. I have watched adult students fill in hollow bullets - then turn
around and ask because they were no longer listening. Their focused intent
was filling in bullets being careful to not leave stray marks outside the
lines. Creative adult learners also make great designs with hollow bullets;
several in a row are easily turned into a short string Christmas lights.

If it's important enough to identify in a list - then it needs to be
properly addressed.
Keep your opinions coming. I enjoy memories of connecting writing with the
purpose of our writing - the readers/users/learners/SMEs.

Debby Aloi