Re: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts?
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Peter Sturgeon" <prsturgeon -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:29:50 -0600

Perhaps, but wouldn't the attention-grabbingness (?) of the bullet
accomplish the purpose of then directing the eye to the text?

I've found the hyphens, unless marked in some other way, often aren't
eye-grabbing enough to call any kind of attention to the following
text.

You may be right; bullets might indeed grab too much attention. But
isn't it better to grab *too much* attention than *too little*
attention?

Just my take on things.

Oh, and I am not a fan of the unfilled bullet for most of the reasons
stated by others.

Dave

On 6/14/06, Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

But the role of the bullet or dash or hyphen or whatever vogue mark of punctuation we're pushing right now is not to draw attention to itself, but the following matter.

I find most bullets oppressively dark and attention-grabbing--to themselves, not to what follows. Frankly, I'm all in favour of going back to the hyphen. (I've used the lowly + sign to good effect in the past.)