Re: Standard Docset for Hardware/Software Products?

Subject: Re: Standard Docset for Hardware/Software Products?
From: Heidi <hvonmarkham -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:55:05 -0700

Good point John.

I think this particular "stalking horse" is actually relaying concerns from
one of our less technical users. I suspect that what this user really wants
is a full training course that leads him step-by-step through each task
while explaining all the fundamental concepts at each step. Probably doesn't
care about the release notes or safety guide -- just wants to read one
document that teaches him how to setup & use the product (instead of one for
setup and one for concepts & examples). A reasonable request.

I will press the question with our Tech Marketing guy and see if there are
any clues to the root cause. Thanks to all for your input!

--Heidi

On 6/12/06, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm getting feedback (via the Tech Marketing department) that our
> docset has too many docs and that customers want all the
> information in one or two docs.

Is it possible that their request is hiding a problem that won't be
fixed through their suggested solution?

All you really know is they are having a problem. Too many documents
is probably not the problem. Maybe finding stuff is?

Address the root cause of the problem and chances are, the solution
will be something else.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"So long and thanks for all the fish."