Re: (no subject)

Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:15:30 -0400

Ok - now on to my real question. As a tech writer I find that there are more
and more software programs that clients/employers require. I am wondering if
anyone knows of freeware/cheap shareware progs that I can use to familiarise
up-and-coming tech writers with before they commit to buy the big boys. The
three areas that I am looking at are: DTP (eg. Quark), Help(eg. Robohelp or
Flare), Diagrams (eg. Visio). I have found a few on Tucows and Download.com,
but any that other that fellow tech writers would say were worth a look then
please let me know. I want my students to be able to evaluate software that
gives them a good idea of what the more costly programs will involve so that
they can assess where they want to specialize before forking out lots of
cash.

Almost all HATs have trial versions of some kind, although they're all
crippled in some way or other (typically by time allowed to use the
trial, like 30 days, or by futzing the output, like replacing phrases
with "[HAT trial version]").

However, the trial versions are only available from the vendor sites.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com