Re: Did I overreact? (Recruiting firms)

Subject: Re: Did I overreact? (Recruiting firms)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:13:08 -0700

I haven't worked many assignments for contracting agencies, but
when I do I try not to overcomplicate it. I have terms in mind that
I require. If the agency will meet them, it doesn't matter to me that their markup might be 500%; if they won't meet them, it doesn't matter to me that their margin might be paper-thin. I also have a
few "select" recruiters I have worked with over the years (as both
candidate and hiring manager). We keep in sufficiently regular
contact that at any given time they all know what my current status
as either a potential client or candidate is and what my current
requirements are in either role.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diana Ost" <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com>

What's your margin? (When they quote a rate to me). Margins are the
dollar amount above what a contractor gets. These are usually anywhere
from 20% to 60% over contract rate. The higher the margin, the more
service the *contractor* should get (i.e., benefits, lunches, training,
etc.).