RE: Tech writing saves journalism - objectivity is impossible

Subject: RE: Tech writing saves journalism - objectivity is impossible
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Fetzner, Bill" <BFetzner -at- amsuper -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:35:36 -0500

Bill

While I agree with many of your points, you've neglected one or two, I
believe.

The products of journalists (print or broadcast) are chosen and
purchased on their own merits each and every time they are used.

Technical Communicator's efforts, on the other hand, are generally
"bundled" with another product, and, therefore, not chosen for their own
value or benefits (with the clear exception of aftermarket technical
communications, which, I submit, are far more often chosen in
desperation after attempts to use manufacturer-supplied documents {said
desperation caused by either real or imagined lack of value in the OEM
docs}).

Journalism 101 teaches that objectivity IS an impossible goal -- the
very act of choosing what to cover is a subjective decision -- we Tech
Writers do the same thing (remember the wrangling over the bug list
during the last portion of the release cycle, or the choosing of what
"features" to document and which is leave undocumented).

Lastly, Journalism is a for-profit endeavor -- I have a strong belief
that, if a large enough group of people made their desire of an
"objective" source of news, that desire would be filled (someone please
call me the day the Christian Science Monitor outsells the National
Enquirer {tongue firmly in cheek).

John Rosberg