RE: Did I overreact?

Subject: RE: Did I overreact?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Gee, Lou, speaking of overreactions...
>
> A careful perusal of the archives will reveal that some
> WR-Lers have had positive experiences with recruiters.
> Perhaps those who think the recruiter's mark-up was worth
> it aren't *all* chumps.
>
> As for that realtor of yours: Next time you sell a
> condo, check the BBB site and Craig's List first.

The first recruiter I ever used...I posted my resume on the internet
with a cover letter asking for a starting salary. I was contacted,
and after a conversation, they explained to me that my resume was a
good fit, only one problems..."the client was looking to pay
substantialy more than what I was asking..was that a problem?"

I'm talking about BIG difference. I asked for $29,000 per year and
they were looking to pay me $35.00 per hour (I ended up making over
$90k that year with OT).

So..I go on the interview. After the interview, I get the formal
offer letter. $36.00 per hour. One dollar more than what we agreed
on. When I called them to find out why, the explanation was that the
client agreed to pay a little more, so they thought it only right to
pass on my cut of the difference.

The gig lasted 18 months, I maxed out my contract renewal, and I only
have good memories.

They're still in business. The name of the agency is Mendem Concord.

Then, OTOH, there's the agency that stiffed me for $8,600.00 and I
had to take them to court.

My point...treat each agency on its merits. Not all agencies are scum
and some technical writers are pieces of crap and screw agencies as
well as they screw us.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"So long and thanks for all the fish."