Re: Tech writing saves journalism

Subject: Re: Tech writing saves journalism
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:01:34 -0400

Fetzner, Bill wrote:

My point, and nobody responded in kind (although Al unfortunately launched
into an unbecoming personal attack)...

The response he is talking about was a comment I made about his post on May
25th ...
"Now you tell me that it makes good journalistic sense to separate articles
that should be read together. It's bad enough I need to scan for news among
all the ads, but then to hide results that pertain directly to the interest
of local readers on an inside page while touting the same news story up
front gives me pause and reason to wonder. My guess is that the same
attitude that makes some think that left-wing stuff is fair and balanced
cause these wingers to bury bad news where they're less likely to around
justifiable criticism of our state's test results. I don't consider this a
mistake due to stupid copyediting -- I lay it right to the *typical*
left-wing, pc-oriented, ideological gobbledygook that inspires most of the
media today. We'll get it right eventually."
I always respond to the standard right wing description of the media...a
description that is politically oriented and not based on reality. If it
was "unbecoming personal attack," then maybe it was also a non-professional
description of another style of writing. Many non-technical writers also
use clichés when they discuss technical writers, most of which are so far
off the wall as to be laughable, but Mr. Fetzner's comments were a veiled
attempt to use technical writing to promote a political view. I responded
in kind.
If the truth be told, I would still be a proud reporter if a divorce which
left me a single parent in the need for a job that paid a livable wage did
not enter the picture. Being a reporter, like being a technical writer, is
a difficult and demanding job, especially if you also supplied all the
supporting camera work as I did, and you strive to be neutral. The most
difficult part of it, however, is understanding that no matter how hard you
work to tell the story, one side or the other will accuse you of being
biased. It's the nature of the business.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang