Re: Did I overreact?

Subject: Re: Did I overreact?
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:14:04 -0600

First thought that came to my mind was, "One man's garbage, another
man's treasure."

I know for a fact that the starting wage for most entry-level tech
writers in my region (Salt Lake City) is not as high as $24 an hour.
When I was looking, I saw everything from $12.50 to about $21 with a
very wide range of benefits from almost nothing to full coverage. The
STC survey lists $34,000 to $37,000 a year if I remember right.

So, depending on your experience, $24 might have been high or it might
have been low. For SLC and entry level, $24 wouldn't have had a chance
to even begin to cool on the market.

And I agree with Keith and several others. Life is too short to be
frustrated with a person who gets their instructions from above. Yeah,
the messenger might strive to be a little more upfront and better
informed, but most of the time a recruiter is still just a messenger.

In the limited contact I've had with recruiters, I've found that I
could eliminate 90% of the positions I would not settle for by asking
the right questions. If they refuse to answer those questions, I take
that into strong consideration when thinking about moving forward with
that particular position.

Dave